The Dapo Olorunyomi National Essay Competition is an initiative flagged by the Department of Communication and Language Arts, University of Ibadan. Displaying exemplary hard work and integrity, Dapo Olorunyomi, a seasoned journalist, has been actively involved in the fight against the menace of questionable activities in governance and domineering leadership.
Thus, in honor of his admirable efforts to journalistic endeavors, the maiden edition of the competition is geared towards proffering creative, feasible and lasting solutions to political problems pervading the country’s democratic system.
Opened exclusively to students of Nigerian tertiary institutions, the competition is also throned to consequently hone writing prowess, promote critical thinking, encourage positive approach & engagement in politics, and breed the need for necessary curiosity, in Nigerian Students.
The maiden edition of The Dapo Olorunyomi National Essay Competition is themed: Journalism and the fight against corruption and bad governance in Nigeria.
1st Prize: ₦50,000 (plus e-books)
2nd Prize: ₦30,000 (plus e-books)
3rd Prize: ₦20,000 (plus e-books)
- Only undergraduates of Nigerian institutions are eligible to enter.
- Participants are at liberty to quote anyone or document, however with due reference and attribution.
- Entries must be original, intellectual property of the entrants, and must NOT exceed 850 words, excluding essay title.
- Any form of plagiarism will lead to auto disqualification.
- Submissions should be sent in alongside a brief biography and modest photograph. Name of tertiary institution, department, and year of study, should be clearly mentioned alongside contact details (email address and phone number) . (ALL OF THESE SHOULD BE CONTAINED IN A COVER PAGE)
- Submissions should be made in MS Word format to Aclasui@gmail.com on or before 11:59pm on August 18.
- All entrants are entitled to a single entry.
- Advised font for entries is Times New Roman, size 12.
- All submissions should be titled ‘DONEC 2017’.
- Entry for this contest gives ACLAS UI, right to make use of any entrant’s submission. However the writer retains full copyright to his/her essay.
- On no account or reason can the judges’ decision be questioned.
Winners will be announced in the first week of September and subsequently awarded their prizes at the ACLAS Personality Lecture by Dapo Olorunyomi, at the University of Ibadan, in October, 2017.
All entrants are enjoined to subscribe to http://www.aclasites.com.ng for prompt and regular updates.
Note: No entry received later than the stipulated deadline will be considered.
Communicators League hereby states that it only serves as a platform for promoting this initiative and is in no way connected to this contest nor its prizes. Communicators league remains detached from anything as regards the prize or contest. Any complaints or inquiries should be directed to the organizers via their stated email or website.