Consequent on a press briefing at Virgin Rose Resorts Lagos, on the 15th of January, 2018, Poets In Nigeria (PIN), unveiled the website for submissions for the Nigerian Students Poetry Prize 2018. While the event was attended by PIN’s Board of Trustees in Persons of Sir Eriata Oribhabor (President PIN), Kolade OLanrewaju Freedom (Executive Secretary PIN ), Awodiya Funke, (PIN Initiative Promoter), it was covered by reporters from The Guardian Newspaper, The Sun Newspaper, WAPTV and the likes. The website programmer who has always been behind the scene, in person of Oluwakayode Adegbite, was introduced to the audience and he did well in taking eyes and minds through the sophisticated but simplified process of submission this year, on the website. Also in attendance was the General Manager of Virgin Rose Resorts, Juliet Ogbujah, alongside Adelaja Ridwan, a member of PIN Board of Trustees and winner of KEN EGBAS Festival Poetry Prize, 2017.
The prizes for this year are as follows:
1st Prize – N150,000
2nd Prize – N100,000
3rd Prize – N50,000
The award ceremony is slated to hold in May, 2018. Meanwhile, the host University is The Geoffrey Okoye University, Enugu, who also doubles as the sponsor of this year’s prizes.
- Open to all Nigerian undergraduates studying in Nigeria and the diaspora.
- Entrants must be from a recognized tertiary institution.
- Poems must be original, intellectual property of the entrants.
- An entrant is entitled to a single entry of 30 lines maximum.
- There are no fixed themes.
- Entries submitted must be previously unpublished. A submission discovered to have defaulted on this rule will be automatically voided (inclusive of winners).
- All entrants are expected to purchase either one or both editions of the anthology of the top 100 entries uploaded on the submission portal.
- Under no condition will the judges’ decision be challenged.
- Entering for the contest gives PIN automatic right to make use of entries as deemed appropriate.
- Entries must be written in English. Native terminologies must be translated in English as footnotes.
- Entrants should subscribe to poetsinnigeria.org.ngfor regular updates.
For enquiries, contact the moderator –
Submission Deadline: 28th February, 2018
CLICK HERE to submit.
Exclusively reported by Communicators League